Prayer is such an amazing thing. It's so easy to do that it's so easily taken for granted. And yet it is both powerful and frightening to man and the supernatural alike.
But then, having a set time for prayer and study of God's Word is also self-deceiving, in a way.
Yes, it should be everybody's goal to have a time set for these two but to many of us who have always been able to "achieve" this goal, the heart is sometimes led astray by feelings of accomplishment that makes one complacent about decisions, thoughts, words and actions that affect the testimony of our Christ-like character. Also, one tends to feel that "I've already done my duty for the day" and so closes one's spiritual ears, so to speak, from continuous communion with the Lord in the spirit. For many of us, we've also noticed that, during these times, we seldom free our spirits to really listen but just go on and "pray" (more like talk God's ears off) and "prayerfully" (reflectively, really) understand the Scriptures or whatever supplementary reading we may have at hand.
Prayer is so much more than all these. Prayer is like the exclusive time a parent has with his/her child where he/she is all-ears to what that child has to say and tries to impart as much peace, support and life lessons that the time and place allows. In prayer, we are that child, unburdening ourselves of our fears and updating our parent about all our activities. Even so, like any other child who truly adores and respects his/her parent, we should, all this time, gaze at our parent's loving face and take times to pause and listen to what he/she has to say.
Analogies aside, prayer is a two-way street where the heart is not rushed but is just full of the moment.
Have I really prayed like that? I've asked this of myself many times. There are times when I can give a definite yes. But most of the time, I really have to honestly admit, are iffy, if not a definite no. Facing such truths about ourselves should be a frequent thing to ensure that we keep ourselves in the right track when it comes to our spiritual lives. Frequent evaluation of the quality of our "prayer lives" ensures that we don't miss out on the most beautiful thing about prayer. Not the power or the fear that that power inspires. But the privilege and wonder of being in God's presence.
It's an awesome thing, if we really take the time to allow ourselves to ruminate on this. Wow! I can be in the presence of the Most Holy God! The Creator of all things and beings and heavenly bodies! I need not look for perfect sheep and shed blood just to be in the presence of such a God. I need only sacrifice my preoccupation with me.
I need only sacrifice my preoccupation with me. After all is done, that is what it all boils down to, doesn't it?
Prayer Power. The power of prayer is in the act itself. Let us pause, pray and enjoy God's wonderful presence!
Good day, everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment