It's been told to me often, as a child "There are no ropes the length of infinity." So, when later on, I became aware of the expression "I'm at the edge of my rope," it didn't sound so strange; it was but logical.
Knowing that, with people, affection in any form -- be it patience, understanding or love, is likened to a rope -- we all, from an early age, learn to live our lives in fear.
What to do? What to do? Why did I say that? Have I now finally overstayed my welcome?
Oh no! These are Mom's favorite plates! What if I lose her love from now on?
I did something wrong again... what if Dad finally stops loving me because of this?
While it is untrue that patience, understanding and love have decided ends, it is also untrue that they can be subjected to endless abuse and not be affected. Patience, understanding and love are treasures that ought to be cherished, and therefore, treated with care.
But what a relief that, with God, even the possibility of "being too much" for Him does not exist at all! There is no fault that is "too much" to be confessed, no wrong that is beyond repentance, and no sin that is beyond His ability to forgive.
Lord, I will take care of our love because this is my most precious treasure. But, Lord, help me always remember, too, that I should never allow myself to drift away from You with such a flimsy excuse as "I/This might be too much."
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld
No comments:
Post a Comment