READINGS: Genesis 5
My earliest memory with my Dad was of him teaching me how to read without even informing me that there was such a thing as phonics! I was about two, I think. Good thing my mom took pity on me and proceeded to teach me "the proper way" instead of allowing me to be stressed any further by having to memorize how each word looked.
We didn't really have kiddie books like the ones available almost anywhere nowadays. Any book with at least one picture for the whole story was considered "kiddie" enough. After about a year of being able to read those, we would progress to books where there were no pictures at all.
As a kid of three or four (Hey, I was an early reader!), I hated having to read chapters in the Bible with names on them. The pronunciation alone made me want to cry! For me, it was agony. When I got older, I'd cheat on the reading assignments that Dad would give me and skip any and all verses that had more than three names on it.
But now?
I find those names fascinating.
Not the challenge to pronounce them per se (Pronunciation keys are available almost anywhere nowadays. Besides, I've learned to love language in all its forms "_") but the idea that one's family could be so rooted that you could actually trace yourself back to Adam!
I know that I am who I am and I can be as good (or as bad) as I choose to be. My past does not have the power to overrule my dreams. My ancestors do not determine who I can be.
But, still, doesn't it make fascinating reading? Knowing who you're from, whom your Mama and Papa are from, and their Mama and Papa and so on and so forth? Knowing exclusive-for-clan-only stories of exploits, victories, failures, guffaws and embarrassments? Knowing that you are part of something bigger than yourself and for reasons you may not understand just yet, you will also play an important role and be part of history yourself?!
Spiritually, I have a family tree that brings me comfort above all else. It starts with Jesus at the very top, with all those who've gone before me on an endless chain from there, until that long line of witnesses reaches me.
The torch is now mine to pass along. I'm hoping that the testimony of my life may keep this genealogy of eternal love alive and growing.
Glory to the Living God!
No comments:
Post a Comment